Saturday, March 03, 2007

Why does it matter!

I have been doing a lot of reading online about the Walter Reed debacle, as well as the mainstream media. What has amazed me is the anxiety and anger among some in the military and the families at WHO released the news. Alright, it was the Washington Post! so WHAT!! Can we get angry about what was reported, not who reported it? I wish they had published it sooner, that they hadn't waited 4 months to do so. But they did it. Yes, Andi, you are right, this information has been reported and reported, and told and retold to the chain of command. nothing happened! Same old, same old. Those of us in the military family know that we will often hear "we've always done it this way"..."it's someone else's fault"... "not in my purview".... "not my responsibilty".... To get rid of something bad, you need to put a bright light on it, a bit like getting rid of mould! Bleach, sunshine and fresh air. In this country, the media is used to shed light.

I honestly don't care if it was the Washington Post, Lehrer, or Letterman. I'm glad that the great American public finally is getting some idea of what is going on.

UPDATE: now the venerable Times of London has reported on the Walter Reed matter. Does this make it better? or is that paper also too "liberal" "anti military"...? Again. I don't care, as long as the problems are addressed


Secretary Harvey should have been gone a long time ago, but I assume the former SecDef liked his Yes man attitude. His decision to put General Kiley back in command... absolutely ridiculous ! This is the man who was in charge of the place for over 3 years, I could not believe his head up the butt statement that there are rats there because the soldiers brought food in. Blame the victims, that's just way too "raise the drawbridge and hunker down". I am relieved that he will not be back. His attitude was symbolic of the old Army way, that we have been told is no longer SOP. Of course I know that this is going to take a hell of a long time to fix, that the mould and such were the easy fixes. I'm not so foolish as to think that the sea of bureaucracy and forms and boards of review are just going to go away. But just maybe, this is a first step.

Let's forget about who gave us the news, let's try to fix the problem.

LAW

p.s. No orders yet....

2 comments:

Megan said...

People are seriously upset that it came from WaPo?

*sigh*

Nothing can ever be accomplished like this.

Nothing.

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

I agree lets get it fixed...lets not form committees and talk about getting it fixed...JUST.FIX.IT