Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentines Day - a cat story

Spending Valentines Day at Petsmart doing a cat adoption fair was a way to not miss Chief (I'm gonna call him that, instead of DH) too much. It was a nice enough fair, some sweet new cats rescued from a high kill shelter who snuggled up together and tried to avoid seeing all the people looking at them.

An older couple asked me for some assistance, could they meet one or both of the calico cats we had in the permanent cages. Molly aka Jabba the Hut, didn't want to say hi, it was 3 hours into the fair and she was pooped. Then - I saw love just happen. I opened Daisy's cage, she was curled up taking a nap. She looked up, then got up and stretched. The lady began to pet her, found that little spot behind the ear... right..... there... Then Daisy did what I hadn't seen her do before. she reached out, and walked into the lady's arms, laid her head on her shoulder, and that was it. Daisy adopted her. The gentleman with her put his hand on Daisy's head and she did that little push - and purred. We talked for a moment, while Daisy cuddled. Then I put her back in, and the lady filled out forms, the gentleman went to get the carrier they used to have for the cat they had had for over 15 years, that they lost a few months ago. And they went home - as she said to me, what a perfect Valentine's present - unconditional love.

So even though I didn't get to see Chief, or even talk to him other than email - I got to see the real thing, not the cheesy "you have to buy THIS to show him you love him".. the real thing. It was a great Valentines Day!

LAW

13 comments:

Jennifer said...

That gave me chills. What a wonderful way to spend a day. Good for you. And good for Daisy!

Cortney @ Box & Bay said...

What a sweet story! Thanks for sharing... that was a waaaaay better love story than any of that stuff on TV yesterday!

Oh! In other news, CONGRATS! One month down! Hope you are having a good weekend and are doing well! I hope Cheif is doing well too!

Vypergirl said...

AAwwww How sweet is that?I am glad you had a good day!

Bette said...

Oh, I loved this story! A happy ending for everyone.

juliannah said...

I am glad you got to witness this. Sorry you are not with your Chief but sometimes karma works in magical ways!

Infantry Dad said...

That is truly a great story.
I've been thinking about adopting a cat. I visit the shelter often, sit in the cat areas, and wait for one to choose me... Hasn't happened yet.
It will.
Some day.

Mrs. Mootz said...

That is an awesome V-Day story. I think pet love is one of the best things we have in this world. I don't care what anyone says, pets can love. You can see it in their eyes and when they do things like what Daisy did.

Anonymous said...

adorable!! I almost shed a tear or two!! :) Kitty love is wonderful.

Kanani said...

Right now I'm debating whether or not to get another cat. I have one --a gorgeous black and white that hubby found at the park 2 years ago. Can't decide --I know the dog will hate being outnumbered!

RangersGirl said...

awww! I spent the day before at Petsmart with Lost Dog Lost Cat and my foster Gracie. Its so fun to see them get adopted - - I just wish someone would pick Gracie.

Linda said...

That's how you know...when a cat picks you, that's how you know it's love. I've never picked out my cats, they've picked me. Thanks for sharing this love story!

Ann M. said...

Sweet story. Thanks for sharing!

The Teacup Cottage said...

What a lovey story! Sometimes when George is deployed the only thing that gets me out of bed is Sgt. Major ... then he crawls back in and goes to sleep!

Thanks for stopping by my craft blog! I started going by myself then found people to go with me. If you find something you enjoy, just jump in, you don't know who you'll find there!