Saturday, July 07, 2007

gone again

I was asked if I had stopped blogging.. no, I haven't, but it has been a hell of a week or so. First, and most important, he's OUT of the Litterbox. After a hot couple days on the good side of the berm he called me from the first stop in the USA, having the now traditional lobster roll... it was breakfast this time. Then to the place where they were supposed to only be for a week... that's where it all began to go pear shaped. We had all been assured that the reintegration work would go on 24/7, no break for the 4th. So we didn't make plans, except some of us planned to work and make some extra $$. then....the first call - hey, we're getting a 24 hour pass, want to come down? well.. duh. So a friend of mine and I made plans to drive down, this was to be our 4th of July freedom date! We made reservations. (oh and when the folks at work found out, they called the hotel and paid for the room!) about 5 hours later... nope, we are getting a 3 day pass...but... (uh oh) it appears that we are going to be helping everyone else through the redeployment..... another 3 weeks or more. So cancelled the reservations. Friend drove down and picked them up, big reunion... in the parking lot of Caribou Coffee... no band, no flags... but he's THERE!

Here we segue into the work situation. I told the boss he was coming home and that we were going to be going to visit the grandbaby...so there was my last day, right? when this 3 week thing came up, I said I was available.... everyone at work was happy, except the boss, who had maintained that my last day is set, and he won't deviate from that, to the despair of some of my co workers. Then the monster brief from hell necessitated my working on two of the three days he was on pass, I had promised I would be there, and since 1/2 the office was off, I couldn't find anyone to take over..... I'm a contract employee and if I don't work, I don't get paid. It would have been great to have something to do for the next 3 weeks while waiting for him to be DONE with this deployment all together, and been able to save more $$. Thank goodness I hadn't made any plane reservations. Cancelled the hotel and the car for our grandbaby visit.

OK, I know, I should be and AM very grateful to have him back safely. But dammit... how many more goodbyes do we have to say! Everyone else will come back, flags and bunting and hooorah. and our guys, will come back in the POVs they drove back with this morning, after spending 3 weeks doing not much more than sheparding the returnees through the maze of redeployment and while the new groups go home to their families, turning around and helping another group through. ok, so I'm whiny this time. get over it.

And I will. but why is it "first in" has to be last out? Granted, he's safe, but living in barracks and eating mess hall food still... oh, LAW, shut up and get over it. I will... but I maintain that today, I'm gonna sulk.

LAW

12 comments:

Butterfly Wife said...

Sulk, sulk, whine, and sulk all you want. Totally your choice. Enjoy it. I am trying to educate my family that the homecoming is not going to be like it is in the movies, on tv, or in pictures.

Bette said...

Ugh. Not the homecoming we all dream of, but he *is* back safe, which is the main thing. Nevertheless, I don't think a little sulking is out of line. So close and yet so far....

Anonymous said...

Go ahead and sulk, I'm sure the wait is almost unbearable but you've made it this far. I'm so happy for you that he's back and safe for you...even though not quite home yet.

kimba said...

You are SO entitled to your feelings. I am glad he is safe - he'll be home soon - but you should just be comfortable feeling however you like!

So, so happy for you...

DIL said...

I agree you have him home but he's not home. Just out of reach. I would sulk too. Actually you are dealing much better than I would. I think we should all take a page out of your book. And I am sure while it doesnt seem to be that way now it will be over before you know it. Then you both can come out her steal The Bug and have a grand ol time. She is lots and lots of fun now! She can run you ragid and yaya at you and keep you entertained for hours and still not be tired! cant wait to see you both Loves from Denver!
Your kids!

Unknown said...

Mixed feelings, I am sure. But at least he is out of harm's way. That must be a relief, and these next few weeks surely must be torture. I can't believe that you had to work those days. That sounds awful. You have an amazing work ethic. Well, please know I am cheering you on for the last inning! What a test of patience!

Aunty Pol said...

I am profoundly grateful for you both that my younger brother is stateside.

Marine Wife said...

Thanks for stopping by, LAW. Congrats on hubby being almost home and out of harm's way. I know it's frustrating. In your shoes, I'd be the same way. And probably will be, come to think of it. Mine went advance party a month after we moved into our house following an international move. Knowing him, he'll probably end up doing the sorts of things yours is doing now at the other end. Best of luck to you!

p.s. love anne mccaffrey, too!

Anonymous said...

Found you over on Can't Keep Quiet (in the comments.)

Just want to say thank you for all you and your hubby do for our country. You sacrifice much. I personally appreciate it with all of my being.

Write Before Sleep said...

LAW -- you are my ROCK! I will look the other way while you have your time of vulnerability. Then I will be back to lean upon you once a-gain.

(read this with a dramatic British-royalty tone, please)

Anonymous said...

It sucks to have them back in the country but not in the same place you are. Before Mark left, he spent three months in Ft. Riley, KS. (we live in Florida). It was horrible. He came home at Thanksgiving and Christmas and MLK weekend and, then, for a final week just before Valentine's Day. Each time, we said goodbye. Each time, the kids watched Daddy fly away. I was so relieved when he finally left for good - when he was finally in Iraq - that I could hardly contain myself.
It will be the same when he gets back, only not as long as in KS. Maybe a week or two, I hope, and then home. And if possible we'll fly out there when they arrive. But, with work and school, who knows.
It's like they can't torture us enough.
Anyway ... at least he's out of that place.
See you tonight for Army Wives!
http://blogs.tampabay.com/standingby/

Susan said...

You sulk all you want. Soon he'll be where he should be. (((hugs)))