Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bad Idea - such a BAD Idea

X posted at Left Face:


In the previously discussed vein of reunion pron*, the latest "reality" show to be floated is this one.

Coming Home will feature U.S. soldiers reuniting with loved ones after serving long tours of duty. The show will be paired with Lifetime’s hit drama Army Wives.

Now - my own two cents? you want reality? then follow along with these military spouses while they try to function for a year; thrill to the deployment gremlins as they strike the unsuspecting family right in the wallet; feel the tension as the phone calls get cut short or the internet connection is turned off after "an incident"; sit with that spouse at an FRG meeting or briefing; control your excitement when that dark sedan comes down the street and stops on your block! Now that show - will never happen. And I'm damned if I want a happy tense exciting time to be voyeuristically watched by anyone else. Will they follow us when we have that first post deployment fight? NO. They want to watch us ride off into that pink sunset on a white steed and live happily ever after. Until the next deployment of course... and then they want to greedily watch as we say goodbye... tears are great for ratings!

Here's the website for the show announcement - go on over and make your voice heard.

LAW

*no, didn't misspell, just hate the creepy traffic I get when I use the word!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I have to say, I totally agree. They're filming right now here at campbell and I find it a little sickening. Especially since it's being HIGHLY endorsed, pushed and organized by MWR employees.

Are they going to address all the issues that come up in that last stretch of deployment and the 90 days following redeployment when the I'm-so-glad-to-see-you wears off and you're trying to reintegrate two very separate lives? Nope.

Anonymous said...

I am glad, kind of, that this is out there. But you're exactly right- people aren't seeing what needs to be seen. America really doesn't get the sacrifice.

Husband hasn't left yet, and I am TERRIFIED of what re-d. is going to do to us.